How Saint Michael Lutheran Church Came to Be 

  Near the turn of the century, traveling missionaries visited Fort Myers and discussed the possibilities of starting a congregation.  However, no bridge spanned the Caloosahatchee River, so transportation was by boat only and Fort Myers was located quite far from any other population center.  Not until 1931,Zucker2 - original building on Grand & Lafayette with the completion of the Edison Bridge, did Lutherans renew efforts in the area, canvassing the city and briefly holding services that averaged only seven in attendance. In 1939, Rev. H.E.Hartman (from Trinity Lutheran, Delray Beach) led a delegation of 38 Walther Leaguers (young adults) to Fort Myers to call on 800 families.  They helped organize a new Lutheran mission.  Pastors shared the pulpit duties until the Southern District assigned a full-time missionary in 1940.  In September of 1941, Rev. Art Weber arrived to lead the small congregation.  On September 29, the day the Church celebrates the festival of Saint Michael Zucker3 - orignial building on Grand & Lafayette and parsonage(the Archangel) and all Angels, the church formally chartered as Saint Michael Evangelical Lutheran Church of Fort Myers.   Within six months the members dedicated their first sanctuary on the northwest corner of Grand and Lafayette.  By 1953, the little church was sold and a new sanctuary constructed on the southwest corner of Coconut and McGregor.  Picture that same year Saint Michael Lutheran School was established by offering Kindergarten classes to members and to the community.  By 1964 that Kindergarten had grown to a complete 9-grade elementary school. In 1956, the congregation purchased property on the southeast corner of Broadway and Carrell.  A new sanctuary was built in 1968, the Fellowship Hall in 1975, the Education Building in 1978 and, most recently, the Anderson/Eichler Fine Arts & Athletic Center in 1994.  

Over the years St. Michael has daughtered five congregations:

Good Shepherd (North Fort Myers) Zion (South Fort Myers) Grace (East Fort Myers) Trinity (Cape Coral) Beautiful Savior (Lehigh).